Provincial Games Endorsement Procedure
- Special Olympics Ontario will identify the athletes to advance to Provincial Games using the Athlete Selection Criteria in Sport and Competition Policy 7000-304 and 7000-306.
- District Developer (DD) will seek endorsements for each athlete.
- DD will request the community club coach / Educator (school based athletes) complete the Athlete Endorsement Form for each athlete identified from their club / school. As well, the DD will request the community coordinator / council to provide their endorsement of the athletes that have been identified from their community.
- Upon receipt of the athlete endorsement form from the club coach and community council endorsement, the DD will evaluate the information provided and determine if the endorsement process will proceed further.
- To proceed further, the DD will then request the Parent / Guardian / Support Person or Athlete (18 years of age or older) to complete the Athlete Endorsement/ Games Registration Form for the athlete.
- Should the DD evaluate the information provided by the club coach and / or community council and determine the athlete is not endorsable, final consultation will occur with the Manager of Field Services for SOO. If, after consultation with the manager, the athlete is deemed as not endorsable, further endorsement will be terminated.
- Upon receipt of the athlete endorsement form from the Parent / Guardian / Support Person or Athlete, the DD will evaluate the information provided and determine if the athlete has been fully endorsed to attend Provincial Games.
- When all identified athletes have been endorsed, the DD will submit the District Team athlete and coach list to the Provincial Office for final approval. The provincial office will review the information and notify the DD of the status of the District’s team list.
- The provincial office will post the District “Training Squad” lists on the S.O.O. website.
- Athletes will then be required to complete an Athlete Agreement form.
Any individual who informs the athlete that he or she has been selected prior to the official notification from the District Team Manager or SOO. will assume responsibility for his/her actions. No athlete, coach, volunteer or parents shall presume that an athlete has been selected to Provincial Games until an ‘Official’ Team List is distributed by the Provincial Office.
- District Developer (DD) will distribute Coach Application forms to all coaches who attended the Provincial Qualifying competition.
- All coaches interested in attending Provincial Games must submit a Coach Application form (Team Sports and Individual Sports).
- Upon receipt of the Coach Application form, the DD will request the community coordinator / council to complete the Coach Endorsement Form for their community.
- A Coach Selection Committee (CSC) of 3 qualified volunteers will be convened. The volunteers may be pulled from the following groups: Provincial Convenors, Sport Technical Liaison for the Provincial Games, Conference Convenors and Past Mission Staff for National Games. The CSC will receive the endorsed coach application forms for all of the coaches in their sport from across the province.
- The CSC will select coaches in their sport for each District Team. If District Team coach positions cannot be filled by certified coaches from within the district the CSC may fill the positions with certified coaches from outside of the district.
- Coaches endorsed by their community coordinator / council, may be interviewed by the CSC to determine suitability for coaching at the provincial games.
- Coaches who do not receive endorsement from their community coordinator / council will be notified by the DD by mail that he/she was unable to be endorsed.
- The CSC will review the references for each endorsed applicant.
- The CSC will rank the applicants for selection.
- Upon completion of the coach selection, the CSC will submit the district coach lists to the Provincial Office for final approval. The provincial office will review the information and notify the CSC of the status of the submitted lists.
- Coaches will be notified of their inclusion on the District Training Squads and the provincial office will post the Training Squad lists on the S.O.O. website.
- Coaches will then be required to complete a Coach Agreement form.
Please refer to: Sport and Competition Policy 7000-308, Coach Selection Criteria for Provincial Games