Coaching at Major Games
Athletes proceed through the competition structure with the direct support of sport program coaches. Whether it is the District Team participating in Provincial Games, Team Ontario traveling to National Games, or Team Canada traveling to World Games, the teams are structured in an approximately 3:1 athlete to coach ratio.
Applying to Coach at Games
Coaches are invited to apply for Games approximately one year in advance of the upcoming Games.
- For Provincial Games, applications are submitted to the District Developer, and coach selection occurs with the input of Community Councils, DAT and SSCT. Eligibility criteria and qualifications are outlined in the policy and Coach Roles sections of this resource. Coaches must be endorsed by their Community Council.
- For National Games, applications are submitted to Special Olympics Ontario’s Competition Developer.
- For World Games, applications are submitted to Special Olympics Canada.
Selected team coaches may expect to be a full member of the Team, which includes:
- Travel to and from the Games
- Being provided with a team uniform and necessary accessories
- Accommodation at the Games
- Support of the District Team Manager and/or Chef de Mission in preparation for the Games, and while at the Games both for competition and non-competition aspects of the Games experience
Team coaches have varied responsibilities, including:
- Designing the pre-competition training plan
- Supporting the athlete(s) in their training
- Accompanying the team in travel to the Games
- Helping the athlete navigate the non-sport aspects of Games (Athletes Village, meals)
- Supporting the athlete in competition
- Attending Coach or Head Coach meetings, as appropriate
- Providing feedback about the Games or about the athlete(s) under their responsibility
For more information about how to apply to coach at games, or what your role will be please connect with a member of the SSCT or your SOO staff member.