Provincial Games Sport Technical Consultant Position Description
To provide sport specific technical support to the Games Organizing Committee & to Special Olympics Ontario coaches and staff. This volunteer position will be a member of the Provincial Games Organizing Committee.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide sport specific technical expertise and support to the Games Organizing Committee, Venue Manager & Special Olympics Ontario coaches and staff
- Be available to answer/consult on sport specific questions via email, phone or conference call leading into the games
- Be available to consult with the Games Organizing Committee and Venue Manager on topics that could include; scheduling, rules, officials, venue & competition requirements
- Attend the provincial games in their entirety in the capacity of Technical Consultant
- May be required to attend the Games Venue Tour
- May be required to attend the Volunteer Orientation Session
- Work in conjunction with the Manager, Major Games and Venue Manager on any and all sport technical items related to Provincial Games
- The Technical Consultant will be required to attend the Provincial Games in their official capacity as advisor to the Games Organizing Committee, not as a Coach or Team Manager
- Review the games technical packages and provide suggestions/changes to the Manager, Major Games
- Ensure consultation with the Games Organizing Committee and Venue Manager on scheduling, venue sites, rules, officials, competition format and standards
- Consult with the Manager, Major Games on the process of divisioning to ensure Special Olympics Ontario divisioning requirements are met
- Maintain constant communications with the Venue Manager and the Sport Technical Committee of the Games Organizing Committee
- Copy the Manager, Major Games on all technical issues and communications with the Organizing Committee
- Prior to the games, have a meeting with the head of officials
- During the Games, meet with all officials prior to competition to conduct an overview of a Special Olympics competition, and review the rules and regulations, to ensure that the Provincial rules are being followed, and to ensure the safety of the athletes
- During the Games, function as a member of the Divisioning Committee and assist in divisioning of the athletes, be a member of the Protest committee
- After the Games, compile and submit a report and evaluation of the Games to the Manager, Major Games & the Games Organizing Committee
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Coaching experience within the sport
- Experience in planning Special Olympics competitions
- Experience coaching athletes with an intellectual disability
- Ability to work independently
- Fully certified NCCP Level 1 Special Olympics coach and a fully certified NCCP Level 1 coach in the sport they coordinate or a certified official in the sport.
- Currently be a volunteer in good standing with Special Olympics Ontario and/or the PSO of the specific sport.
Time Requirements & Duration of the Position
This position is consultative in nature. All correspondence can be done from home through the telephone or in writing. Access to the internet for email purposes is mandatory.
- Technical Consultants will be required to participate in sport specific conference calls
- Technical Consultants may be required to travel to the host community to attend a Venue Tour, Volunteer Orientations, etc.
- This position will be roughly 6 months in duration
Orientation and Training
Provincial Sport Technical Advisors will receive support and direction from the Manager, Major Games.
This position is accountable to the Manager, Major Games, Venue Manager and the Games Organizing Committee.