Special Olympics Ontario Volunteer and Coach Code of Conduct
Review Date: January 1, 2019 Effective Date: October 18, 2018
The Code of Conduct is designed to assist each volunteer and coach in abiding by the mission and philosophy of Special Olympics Ontario.
In return, volunteers and coaches will be treated with respect and openness, be assigned responsibilities appropriate to their level of competence, have access to self-improvement training opportunities and be matched with a level of coaching appropriate to their level of competence. Any volunteer or coach who does not follow this Code of Conduct can be prohibited from participating at any Special Olympics training or competition event.
A volunteer shall:
- Uphold the mission and philosophy of Special Olympics Ontario
- Maintain high standards of conduct
- Avoid profane or abusive language
- Abstain from the use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco and cannabis products and/or illegal substances while participation in any Special Olympics sponsored or sanctioned activities. These activities include, but are not limited to , training/practice sessions and competition events.
- Abstain from all illegal activity.
As a Special Olympics Volunteer or Coach, I pledge that:
RESPECT FOR OTHERS
- I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of athletes, coaches, other volunteers, friends and spectators in Special Olympics.
- I will treat everyone equally regardless of sex, ethnic origin, religion or ability.
- I will dress and act at all times in a manner which will be appropriate to my assigned responsibilities and a credit to myself, the athletes and Special Olympics Ontario.
- I will display control, respect, dignity and professionalism to all involved including athletes, coaches, opponents, officials, administrators, parents, spectators and media.
ACT PROFESSIONALLY AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY ACTIONS
- I will provide for the general welfare, health, and safety of any Special Olympics Ontario athlete(s) in my charge during the course of my assigned duties.
- I understand that in the course of my duties I may be dealing with personal and confidential information and I agree to keep such information in the strictest confidence.
- I will report any emergencies to the appropriate authorities after first taking immediate action to ensure the health and safety of the participants.
- I will not take part in the consumption of alcoholic beverages, cannabis products and/or controlled substances or be under the influence of alcohol, cannabis and/or controlled substances during any Special Olympics training or competition, or any time I am acting as a chaperone for Special Olympics athletes from the time I commence my role as chaperone until the athletes have been released to parents or guardians.
- I will not take part in smoking or chewing tobacco at any Special Olympics training or competition site except in designated areas.
- I will not engage in any type of inappropriate behavior, use of profanity, sexual activity, and/or verbal or physical abuse with Special Olympics athletes, staff, officials or other volunteers.
- I will be alert to and will report to the provincial office any form of abuse from other sources directed toward athletes, volunteers and staff.
As a Special Olympics Coach, I also pledge that:
ENSURE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE
- I will ensure that for each athlete I coach, the time spent with Special Olympics is a positive experience.
- I will respect the talent, developmental stage and goals of each athlete.
- I will ensure each athlete competes in events that challenge that athlete’s potential and are appropriate to that athlete’s skill level.
- I will be fair, considerate and honest with athletes and communicate with athletes using plain and clear language.
- I will ensure that accurate scores are provided for entry of an athlete into any event.
- I will instruct each athlete to perform to the best of the athlete’s ability at all preliminaries/heats and finals in accordance with the Official Special Olympics Sports Rules.
- I will ensure that athletes are properly attired.
As a Special Olympics Coach, I also pledge that:
HEALTH AND SAFTEY OF THE ATHLETES
- I will ensure that the equipment and facilities are safe to use.
- I will ensure that the equipment, rules, training and the environment are appropriate for the age and ability of the athletes.
- I will review each athlete’s medical and profile forms and be aware of any limitations on that athlete’s participation noted on that form. I will keep all information on the medical and profile forms confidential unless medical attention is necessary.
- I will provide for the general welfare, health, and safety of any athlete(s) in my charge during the course of my assigned duties.
- I will report any emergencies to the appropriate authorities after first taking immediate action to ensure the health and safety of the participant. I will complete an Accident/Incident Report Form for all accidents or injuries.
- I will encourage athletes to seek medical advice when required.
- I will allow further participation in training and competition only when appropriate.
- I will maintain the same interest and support towards sick and injured athletes.
- I will ensure that prescribed medications are taken at the proper times.
QUALITY OF SERVICE TO THE ATHLETES
- I will seek continual improvement through performance evaluation and ongoing coach education.
- I will be thoroughly familiar with information in the Sport Club Manual and the Official Special Olympics Sports Rules for the sport(s) I coach.
- I will follow the Special Olympics and National Governing Body rules for my sport(s) and assist my athletes in learning these rules.
- I will familiarize myself with the medical, training and competition history of any athlete for whom I am responsible.
- I will ensure that my athletes have trained at least 10 hours prior to their first competition.
- I will ensure the athletes get to their competition events on time and have an opportunity to take advantage of special events and related activities.
- I will be a positive role model for the athletes I coach.
- I will attend all scheduled coaches meetings at home and away.
Volunteer & Coach Code of Conduct Agreement Form
I am a: ? Volunteer ? Coach ? Both
I hereby certify that I have reviewed, understood and agreed to this Code of Conduct.
Name of Coach or Volunteer ________________________________________________
Community – Sport Club ___________________________________________________
Signature of Coach or Volunteer _____________________________________________
Registered volunteers will be held accountable for the volunteer sections of this Code of Conduct only. Coaches will be held accountable for both the volunteer and the coaches sections. By signing this form volunteers are also agreeing to abide by the responsibilities designated for coaches if and when they become a coach in the future (without having to resubmit this form).
The completed form should be returned to your Head Coach or Community Council designated person.