Entering info for a new volunteer

• January 17, 2020 at 12:25 pm #20134

Greetings

I often get ‘New’ records for a volunteer created when a team manager attempts to enroll a volunteer in their club who has not been previously registered.   These records are often mostly empty.   I am working on a form for the managers to have new volunteers fill out if, as is frequently the case, the volunteer gives up on the portal and does not use it.   I just want to confirm that the manager will not be faced with the waivers that should be answered by the volunteer.

Here is the list of information I am looking to include:

Required: First Name, Last Name, Sex, Date of Birth (month spelled out), Email address, Phone numbers (indicate home or mobile), Primary Address (Street. City, Postal Code),  Two personal references and their contact information.

Optional: At least one Emergency Contact (should be required), any medical information your head coach should be aware of.

• January 20, 2020 at 9:47 am #20744
      farkhandas
      Keymaster

Hi MaryAnn,

I need more info on why new volunteers records created by Team Managers are empty if they have volunteer paper forms? Portal allows TM to enter all information of new volunteers without getting into Waivers info section which obviously has to be filled in by Volunteers.

Team Manager Role – Add Volunteer Enrollment – Volunteer Information – select Ontario – Add info for volunteer – Validate Member

What is the reason volunteers give up to complete their application? Need to know as it will help us to improve portal registration process. Volunteers who have not completed application for whatever reason, can login and complete their info including adding enrollment and their waivers any time.

Does the above mentioned form you are creating is a registration form? and at what level it will work?

• January 20, 2020 at 11:34 am #20779

Farkhanda, I said I am working on forms to give to my managers so I do not understand this statement:

I need more info on why new volunteers records created by Team Managers are empty if they have volunteer paper forms?

Thanks for the confirmation regarding waivers.

The other part of the question was looking for confirmation that I have all fields covered that a manager would need to submit the enrollment.

As for how they are being created I expect that some of our managers make an attempt and as soon as they get confused they back out unaware that they have left a record.   The same can happen with a possible new volunteer  who finds navigating the whole thing not worth their time.   When I see them if there is nothing more then the name and maybe the club I discard it and contact the club or the volunteer (if there was an email) to offer guidance.   If their venue has decent wi-fi I may show up and walk them through.

I am developing the form to reduce the number of these ghosts.   Please confirm that the required list is correct:

Required: First Name, Last Name, Sex, Date of Birth (month spelled out), Email address, Phone numbers (indicate home or mobile), Primary Address (Street. City, Postal Code),  Two personal references and their contact information.

MaryAnn

• January 21, 2020 at 11:12 am #21134
      farkhandas
      Keymaster

I understand you are working on a form to help out your managers and above mentioned fields list seems good to me.

Again my question is, when TM starts entering a new volunteer for their club/s, from where they get information? do they have SOO Pdf form (which most of the communities still have it) filled out by volunteers?

I got answer for my statement that due confusion TM do not complete the registration process – which I believe is not so complicated. If they can share cause of their confusion, we will work on it to get simplified.

Thank you for your time and efforts to help new volunteers to walk through the process. Much appreciated.

I will be working on Get Involved site to update instructions for New Athletes/Volunteers soon. I hope that will help them to complete their registration process.

• January 21, 2020 at 5:23 pm #21246

Thanks, will proceed.

I do not believe they have been using any forms. As the paper form is no longer accepted it is not really being used. Half the time the volunteer will say they have volunteered before but it turns out they are not registered.     The TM gives up pretty quickly leaving the ghosts.

The process is not so complicated for those of us used to this kind of thing, but that does not include many of our older TM.   It has been a bit of a process getting them on board.   Some who trying gave up totally when Portal 2.0 came out broken.   Still working on it.

• January 22, 2020 at 3:40 pm #21588
      farkhandas
      Keymaster

Thanks MaryAnn for providing reason of frustration for TM while adding new Volunteer. I was not aware of that mandatory fields message has not been added to this window. A ticket has been submitted , ticket # 661.

There is backlog on tickets. Lets see how long it will take to add this message.

Thanks for all your help,

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags