Community Data admin needs clarification on enrollments waiting for approval

• October 23, 2019 at 1:05 pm #6877

I have worked really hard at getting the clubs on to the portal to do basic management of their own enrollments.   Having approve enrollments at the club level is a welcome change, BUT it turned out that clubs can only approve some enrollments.   As data admin I need to know which enrollments the club is able to approve, and which needs to happen through me.

• October 29, 2019 at 12:08 pm #8058
      James Noronha
      Keymaster

Hi MaryAnn,

Thanks for chatting about this last week, it definitely helped clarify both what you were seeing vs. expected behaviour. Before responding we did bring it up with SOC and hit on both what we should see and what we can do which is inline with what we were talking about. I hope this clarifies things a bit:

The issue arises from a combination of security / user permissions at both the club/data admin level and specifically if a head coach / team manager or someone with permissions for a club attempts to add someone who has never been part of their club before. When adding someone who has not been part of a club previously (i.e. someone who is either currently active or is expired and previously active in a club) the club level administrator (head coach / team manager) does not have permissions on that record, as such they cannot approve the enrollment and it has to be kicked up a level to a Community Level Data Administrator / Community Coordinator / Registrar for approval.

I’ve checked with Farkhanda and this should only happen if someone other than the member themselves (either the athlete / family member on behalf of athlete) enrolls the person. The reason for this behaviour is one of security: If a head coach / community coordinator can add anyone across the province and approve that addition then they would effectively be able to get access to any member record anywhere and all of their personal information regardless of where that member was located (which is untenable from a privacy perspective, the operating principal of the system is that an administrator should only have access to the records that they need to see and that there are some level of checks to ensure that they can’t see the records they shouldn’t). Community Level Data Administrators have a higher level of permission to be able to see everyone in their community and already have access to those records and can thus make that determination.

Now (and this part is important). That behaviour will not happen if someone enrolls themselves in the program. In a situation where an athlete, volunteer or family member on behalf of same registers the volunteer then the coach of the program will be able to approve the registration.

The trick as noted by MaryAnn is that it isn’t readily available on the screen that the Data Admin sees as to which ones require your approval (which should only be the ones that the coaches add directly who are new to their club) vs. which ones can be approved by the coaches (the majority, including already existing members and people who enrolled themselves or family members).

Here’s the good news. In bringing this up with Special Olympics Canada last week, they have the option in the portal connector to be able to add a column that would flag those records (and that we should be able to filter that list on) so that we’ll be able to easily see which ones you need to approve and which ones you don’t. We don’t want to remove your ability to see whose pending in the queue but that should address the major concern. I don’t have timing for the next rollout but it will be prioritized on that list.

The expected behaviour will thus be this (and this is, to be clear the behaviour right now, minus the ability to filter your approvals list for only the ones that require your approval).

1. A member enrolls themselves in a program that they have either been in before (but are expired) or are currently in (re-enrollment) –> Head Coach / Team Manager can approve at Club level.
      2. A member enrolls themselves (or a family member) in a program that they have never been in before (new to the program) –> Head Coach / Team Manager can approve at Club level.
      3. A Head Coach / Team Manager enrolls an athlete (not part of their family) who is already a member of their program (active) or has been a member of their program previously (expired / inactive) –> Head Coach / Team Manager can approve at Club Level
      4. A Head Coach / Team Manager enrolls an athlete (not part of their family) who is NOT already a member of their program or has never been part of the program before (new enrollment)  –> Community Level Approval Required (Data Admin, Community Coordinator, Registrar)

We would expect that the club level administrators would be able to see the people that require their approval, and that the community level administrators would be able to see everyone (both club level and community level approvals required). The additional feature which would clarify things would be that the community level user would be able to filter their view (and would have an additional column to highlight) those that require their action so they don’t have to spend time figuring that out. That last bit has been added to our workplan.

Hope that provides some clarification on what should happen, and what needs to be updated. Thanks for taking the time to run through it with me, the talk we had definitely helped in how we explained what was needed to improve that part of the system.

James

• October 29, 2019 at 12:33 pm #8059

James I really appreciate that the need for me to see if a club is able to approve an enrollment or if it has to be done by me is understood and to be acted upon.

What I am now concerned about is liability.   As it stands, if a club requests that I approve then I approve.  I am not taking on the job of Big Brother here.   My understanding was that an enrollment from outside of the home address requires at least regional approval, so that issue should be cleared up by the time it reaches the level of community approval.

We have a large community, and our clubs have a history of apportioning independently, and have never been centrally managed.

In the past if a club asked to have a volunteer added who was not currently enrolled in Oakville I would forward the request to SOO.   Are you transferring whatever checks were done at that level to me?   I am not prepared to accept that.

MaryAnn (Oakville)

• October 29, 2019 at 1:57 pm #8080
      farkhandas
      Keymaster

Hi MaryAnn,

I have submitted a ticket to SOC to add Approval Level field to Community Data Admin Approve Enrollments Window as it is displayed in Team Manager Approve Enrollment window. That will make easier for you/any Data Admin to filter on this filed and can approve only Community/School level enrollments for your clubs.

Answer to your following question  is NO

In the past if a club asked to have a volunteer added who was not currently enrolled in Oakville I would forward the request to SOO.   Are you transferring whatever checks were done at that level to me?   I am not prepared to accept that.

These request still have to come to SOO. You have to approve only requests for already registered members in Oakville but were not the part of the requesting club/s.

• October 29, 2019 at 2:05 pm #8081

Then please explain the difference between my approval and the clubs.  Functionally I do not understand the difference if I am not expected to do further scrutiny, in which case why not let the club approve?

MaryAnn

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.