Return to Sport – Powerlifting
- Athletes who are unable to follow verbal instructions regarding physical distancing or who require “physical manipulation / hand over hand” instruction to complete drills are recommended to continue with virtual training or general fitness training.
- It is not recommended to register “new” athletes into the sport program at this time. Athletes who are new to the sport should participate in virtual training or general fitness training.
- Where in person training is not an option, consider virtual training or general fitness training sessions. Both are great alternatives and will allow coaches the opportunity to maintain contact with their athletes.
Before and After Practice:
- All participants to wash hand before and after the training session.
- Athletes should arrive at the facility dressed for practice.
- Coaches are to create and share training plans ahead of training session.
- Stagger activity times between different groups to create a 15 minute buffer between sessions and avoid an overlap of participants in any one area.
- Do not loiter in the parking lot. Get in, Train, Get out.
- Physical Distancing (2m or 6ft).
- Personal / Equipment bags must be placed 2m apart in a designated location within the facility. Cones/pylons will be used to mark where each athlete should store their items.
- Communities with mandatory Face Masks: Athletes will wear their face masks at all times while in the facility. Athletes may lower their face mask while lifting weights, but will replace face mask during rest periods. Coaches/volunteers will wear face masks throughout the training session.
- Communities with optional Face Masks: it is recommended athletes and coaches wear face masks at all times using the above stated guidelines. Masks may be optional for those with underlying medical conditions as per Public Health Guidelines.
- Must not exceed the maximum gathering size for your community (Please refer to your Public Health Website). Maximum gathering size includes all athletes, coaches, volunteers, support persons and spectators/parents. It is the coach’s discretion whether spectators are permitted into the training session to ensure physical distancing can be maintained.
- Physical distancing of 2m / 6 ft must be maintained by ALL participants.
- Spotting is not permitted at this time.
- Use hand sanitizer after each use of equipment.
- All “non-essential” contacts should be avoided (handshakes, high 5’s, etc.).
- All skill instructions must be verbal. There will be no “hand over hand” skill instruction.
- It is recommended to use free weights vs machines. Free weights should have safety racks in place such as power racks.
- If using machines, choose machines that use a pin selection for weight.
- Coaches should load / unload all equipment / plates for the athletes and sanitize hands after each change of equipment.
- Equipment should be used by only one athlete for the duration of the training session. (including benches, dumbells, bars, etc)
- If single user equipment is not feasible, equipment pieces must be disinfected and dried between each user. Coaches would be responsible for the cleaning of the equipment.
- Athletes who choose to use chalk must supply their own.
- If an athlete requires an assistant to train it is recommended that the assistant be someone from the same household. If the athlete unable to bring someone from their household, the assistant must be the same person each week. The assistant will wear PPE while working with the athlete, all assistants will go through the same daily screening check.
- Bring your own water bottles clearly labelled with your name – do not use public water fountains.
- Athletes may use only their own personal training equipment, or facility equipment that has been sanitized.
- Coaches should not share handheld equipment such clipboards, white board markers, etc. Recommend coaches each have their own personal whiteboard kit to use as a visual aid for coaching.
- Be creative with the structure of your practice times by using a combination of on in person weight training, virtual training and general fitness training.
- Train the same hours but this will be a mix of weight and virtual/fitness.
- Make it clear that there is no penalty for missing a training session and that if an athlete, or any member of their family does not feel well, they should stay at home.
- Competition will follow Return to Competition protocols.
Each sport venue may have their own COVID-19 restrictions. Please follow the instructions of the staff.