Return to Sport – Athletics
Before and After Practice:
- Wash hand prior to starting practice.
- Coaches to clean any field equipment (if required) using disinfected swabs or towels after each session. (do not go home and then clean – contaminated items may travel into the home environment)
- Stagger activity times between different groups to create a 15 minute buffer between sessions and avoid an overlap of participants in any one area.
- Do not loiter in the parking lot. Get in, Train, Get out.
- Physical Distancing (2m or 6ft).
- Must not exceed the maximum gathering size for your community (Please refer to your Public Health Website). Maximum gathering size includes all athletes, coaches, volunteers, support persons and spectators/parents.
- All “non-essential” contacts should be avoided (handshakes, high 5’s, etc.).
- Physical distancing of two (2) metres (6 feet) must be maintained by ALL participants – no more than 1 person per 4m2
- Structure activities to maximize physical distancing.
- Design activities so athletes may stay within their existing small groups to reduce amount of contact with different people.
- Regular sanitation breaks combined with water breaks.
- Use cones and other equipment to ensure appropriate spacing is in place to support distancing. Reset cones that delineate the physical distancing parameters whenever they are moved out of place.
- If an athlete requires an assistant to train it is recommended that the assistant be someone from the same household. If the athlete unable to bring someone from their household, the assistant must be the same person each week. The assistant will wear PPE while working with the athlete, all assistants will go through the same daily screening check.
- Bring your own water bottles clearly labelled with your name – do not use public water fountains.
- Ensure that all equipment is cleaned before and after use.
- If sharing personal training equipment like starting blocks, med balls etc., ensure proper cleaning is done before and after the athletes use them.
- One lane apart when training on the track (i.e. use lanes 1, 3, 5, 7); use staggered starts when doing intervals/repeats.
- If hurdles are to be used, make sure one person is designated for set up/take down and all thoroughly cleaned according to guidance before and after each session.
- If starting blocks are to be used, they should be used just by one athlete and thoroughly cleaned according to guidance before and after each session.
- Coaches and athletes should ensure all equipment is used by one athlete and then thoroughly cleaned according to guidance before and after each session.
- Athletes should retrieve their own throwing implements.
- Long Jump & Triple Jump Pits NOT to be used at this time due to implementation of cleaning guidelines. Instead focus should be on technical drills.
- High Jump mats NOT to be used at this time due to implementation of cleaning guidelines*. Instead focus should be on technical drills. (*exceptions can be made, with the approval of Provincial Branches, in a setting whereby there is only a single athlete training.)
- Competition will follow Return to Competition protocols.
Each sport venue may have their own COVID-19 restrictions. Please follow the instructions of the staff.