Youth / Student Employment Opportunities 2020
Thanks to the generous support of the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario, Special Olympics Ontario is pleased to offer employment opportunities to young people (15 – 30 years of age).
Due to COVID-19, the Government of Canada has extended the traditional time frame during which supported placements can be completed to February 2021. As such, we will be searching for applicants to start from July through to November 2020. Positions of focus (identified below) will be prioritized for earlier start dates. Flexible work week schedules will be made available whenever possible.
There are multiple student employment opportunities in the following communities and regions:
- Durham Region (Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Whitby)
- Greater Toronto Area
- Kingston & Area
- London & Area
- Simcoe North & Orillia
- Ottawa & Area
- Niagara Region (St. Catharines, Fort Erie, Grimsby, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne & Welland)
- Peel Region (Brampton, Caledon, Mississauga)
- Thunder Bay
- York Region (Aurora, Markham, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, Vaughan)
- Waterloo Region (Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo)
These positions are compensated at $16.00 per hour and vary in hours per week (10-40 hours).
Contracts are a minimum of 8 weeks in duration based on the project and location.
Current positions of focus for earliest start dates include Technology and Resource Development, and Health and Research Programs. Please note: all positions for all project areas will start on an ongoing basis, however priority program areas will hold many of our July positions. Please apply when possible for all positions as varying start dates and work week schedules will be available for all project areas.
Program areas and possible projects include:
1. Program Development
· Community & School Programs Support
· Coach & Volunteer Resource Development
· First Nations, Partner in Play, Unified and Inclusive Camp Programs
2. Health / Research Programs
· Healthy Athletes and Healthy Communities Program Development
· Research Coordination and Research Projects with Special Olympics Research Partners including: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Queen’s University, University of Toronto, University of Western Ontario, York University
3. Marketing, Fundraising & Business Development
· Event & Business Development support for Special Olympics Ontario & The Law Enforcement Torch Run of Ontario
· Communications, Marketing & Fundraising projects
· Finance, Administration, Membership & Donations support
4. Technology & Resource Development
· Website & Graphic Design
· Platform & Application development for projects such as eLearning, Virtual Competition, Health & Fitness programs, Competition Results, Data Visualization & Knowledge Translation applications
· Rollout and training for online registration, membership and competition management systems
· Translation (English to French)
5. Athlete Development & Leadership
· Athlete Leadership Program, Input Council and Health Ambassador Development
· These positions are ideally suited for Special Olympics athletes seeking work experience
6. Sport, Competition & Major Games
· Sport Program & Sport Partnership Development
· Support for Provincial School Championships, Provincial Games & Team Ontario
Special Olympics Ontario is an accessible and equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, members of diverse communities and people with diverse experiences and educational backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates are encouraged to complete an application and submit their resume and cover letter online.
Candidates must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30
- Be a Canadian Citizen OR a Permanent Resident OR a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada
· International students who do not meet the above criteria are not eligible for this program.
· Applications must be completed online by clicking the link on this page.
· Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
· Individuals are encouraged to apply early.
· Successful applicants will be contacted for a virtual interview.
· Applications will be received and processed on an ongoing basis until all positions are filled with revolving start dates in July and September.
· Due to COVID-19, all successful applicants must have access to a home office space, a personal laptop, and reliable internet.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Special Olympics Ontario invites applications from all qualified individuals and invite applications from people of all abilities and experiences. Our youth employment program in particular encourages applications from Special Olympics athletes between the ages of 15 and 30 and has roles for young people with intellectual disabilities seeking work experience.
In keeping with our commitment to equity and diversity we welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples, visible minorities, women and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Special Olympics Ontario supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Special Olympics Ontario is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged. Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
APPLY ONLINE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW