*Special Olympics Ontario will be hosting our second week-long Virtual Basketball Tournament on November 29th - December 3rd. The SOO Winter Classic will be a combination of asynchronous and synchronous gameplay as well as a synchronous Christmas Themed, Fun Day event!
COME OUT AND JOIN US FROM NOVEMBER 29th TO DECEMBER 3rd FOR OUR WINTER CLASSIC VIRTUAL BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT!
Each team will compete in four different team skill challenges over the course of four days
- There will also be a Live Virtual Fun and Awards Day on the 5th Day (December 3rd)
- From November 24-26th, Special Olympics Ontario will offer all participating teams a series of warm-up activities and drills to get ready for the SOO Winter Classic.
- Note: Participation in Warm-Up Week is optional for all teams
- Monday November 29th , Tuesday November 30th and Wednesday December 1st events will be played asynchronously on your own time (results must be submitted to SOO at end of day (5pm EST) for all three days)
- The Thursday December 2nd event will be held LIVE and synchronously
- December 2nd (Day 4 is team colour day, all athletes are encouraged to wear their favourite team’s colour or jersey)
- Friday December 3rd (Fun Day) will be held Live on SOO’s School Programs Facebook, YouTube Live and Zoom from 9:30 AM EST - 2:00 PM EST)
- Basketball (any version or alternate ball is acceptable)
- Basketball net (any version, ex. garbage bin, hula-hoop or recycling bin is acceptable) (9-10 feet are preferred but lower heights are acceptable)
- Cones (any version is acceptable e.g., water bottles, shoes)
- Scoring Chart (provided by SOO) (To Record Athlete Scores)
- Microsoft Teams, Google Meet or Zoom Access
- Measuring tape (to measure distances for tape markers)
- Tape (for shooting and distance markers)
- Timer (to time athlete competition length)
- Accessibility Adaptation: Athletes with difficulty using their hands or feet can use any assistive measures necessary and adapt competition criteria as needed
Traditional teams will place themselves into Skill Level Divisions based on a skill evaluation filled out at registration
All divisions will have different competition criteria for the tournament. Once you know your division, please refer only to information regarding your division
All teams with limited gym and equipment access will compete against other schools within their division with similar accessibility challenges.
Please Note: Through all 4 challenges At Home Learners will be put into teams of two, and those scores will be added together. This will represent the final score